Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Movie "Signs" with Mel Gibson


Good afternoon! Bob here. I know...Patsy's DH. Ughh.

So, it's Sunday afternoon when I'm writing this (July 11th). See, by putting a date in there it'll make me get this posted faster. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

Anywho, I just got finished watching the movie "Signs" by M. Night Shyamalan (sha-muh-lahn). That's how I'm sayin' it anyway.

If you are like me, it may have been a while since you saw it. Personally, I think it's been at least a year or maybe two, I don't know. We were talking about it during a BBQ that we went to yesterday and just thought it would be cool to watch on our Netflix streaming. Not plugging them; we just have Netflix Streaming.

So, after seeing a movie that I've already seen before, what could I possibly say to you that would be worth reading?

I almost cried. Maybe a tear dripped out, I'm not sure? Ok, I'm sure. I'm just amazed at how good that movie was! I mean if you are really looking for a movie to turn down the lights, close the shades, and get out your comfy blanket for, it's this movie. But, don't think you're falling asleep during this one...

I realize that the effects were minimal. I also get that the action itself moves a little slow. However, if you really let yourself go to the shear drama of the situation, you get sucked in! I'm talkin' super sucked in!

Let's face it, even if you aren't a fan of Shyamalan, you can't bet against Joaquin Phoenix and Mel Gibson? These guys are just suspense masters. Add that to the fact that the world is ending, all the while a Preacher who is determined to hate God for the rest of his life (and afterlife) is mourning the death of his wife, which he witnessed. Then you've got the whole family (father, brother, daughter & son) trapped within a mile of what appears to be a full on invasion! All this and there is no cheesy effects to screw things up; I think it's genius.

Personally, I could have used a little more CG alien and maybe some ships, but I realize that I'm not the norm. I also realize that this frustrating style is also what built up an anxious-nous that helped me get sucked in, in the first place. But you've got to give that style credit; if...you can just make it to the crop circle discovery part, you're in!

Then fast-forward to the part where M. Knight does his cameo as the driver who falls asleep at the wheel and kills the preachers wife. Mel Gibson and Knight have a final confrontation, in which Gibson thinks that Knight's character is probably calling him just before committing suicide. Knight finally apologizes, Mel cries, and Knight speeds off saying, "don't open the closet father, I caught one in there and trapped him!".

Mel then masterfully plays a father that is literally *****ing his pants, but somehow manages to talk to his kids like nothing is wrong to keep them from worrying.

All the while, this father's faith is clearly suspect. Correct that; he's faithful that God exists, just not that God is his friend. That's scary stuff if you ask me!

Finally the whole movie really plays with our heart strings by mixing Mel's final return to faith during which Mel's son almost dies in his arms twice within 15 minutes!!!!

Just when you think the whole thing is over, he gives you one last surprise...which of course I won't ruin.

I just couldn't pass up doing a post on this movie. It's even Sunday, which means Church and reverence and all things God. Not that I only think about God on Sunday; it's just magnified that day. This movie actually put a few things into perspective. I've been thinking about work and money and material stuff a lot lately. It all seems a little pointless right now. With a beautiful wife, wonderful daughter, and new baby on the way along with several other blessings I have, it's truly a lot to be thankful for!

You may or may not get this same feeling when you watch this movie, but I promise this movie will make you ask this question:

"Which type of person are you?":

1.) The type that believes that there is no coincidences in life, and that someone or something is watching out for you and yours?

2.) The type that believes there is no one really looking out for you, and your life is based on luck.



I know what my answer is!

God Bless!

BOB

About Me

My photo
Lees Summit, MO, United States
I'm a wife and mother of one and a small business owner (Champagne Baby). We focus on helping first-time parents by being honest and practical with our topics and our products.